Darren McLaughlin, Wayside Racquet & Swim Club
Darren and Laura settled into their Essex Street, Marlborough home in June of 1987 and started to raise their family. They have three children; Kelly is 19 and a freshman at UMASS Dartmouth, Kate is 17 and a junior at Marlborough high and Kevin is 13 and an eighth grader at Marlborough high.
Darren’s mission was to put Wayside Racquet and Swim Club on the map in the surrounding communities. He was approached by Randy Scott in 1988 to host the Marlborough Lion’s Club Spring Sprint Triathlon; the 22nd running of the event is scheduled for May 17, 2009. In 1995 Wayside hosted their first 5k road race. The “Wayside/401 Run For Fun” benefited the Marlborough D.A.R.E. program, raising over $20,000.00 in its first ten years. In 2004, the race began benefiting the Marlborough Regional Chamber of Commerce’s Scholarship Fund. In the five years since, the race has raised nearly $30,000.00 for scholarships for students from our surrounding communities. The “Forrest Memorial Road Race” moved to Wayside in September of 1996 and in that time, has raised well over $150,000.00 for Greater Marlborough Programs Inc.
Darren’s passion is starting traditions; the road races, the American Red Cross Community Blood Drives, the George Fortin “Fit For Life” award which is awarded annually at the club’s celebration of National Senior Health and Fitness Day, Scholastic Book Fairs and of course, the Prom All Nighters. Mary Lou Vanzini organized one of the first such events in the state, held at Wayside in 1986. The club now hosts three each year; Marlborough High, Hudson High and Hudson Catholic, providing a safe and enjoyable post prom environment for our students.
Darren’s other community activities include;
- Marlborough Public Schools Foundation Board
- Marlborough Public Schools Alumni Association Board
- Marlborough High School Council
- Kane Elementary School Council
- MPS School Health Advisory Committee
- Marlborough Wellness Program Committee
- M.M.S. Student Exchange Program
- Marlborough Community Services Board of Directors
- MetroWest Boys and Girls Clubs Resource Development Committee
- Marlborough Regional Community Foundation, President
- Marlborough Regional Chamber of Commerce Executive Board, Vice Chair
- Marlborough Regional Chamber of Commerce School to Business Committee, Chair
- Marlborough Regional Chamber of Commerce Scholarship Committee, Chair
Learn more about Darren McLaughlin and Wayside Racquet & Swim Club.